Did everyone hear that? That was the sound of one giant sigh of relief. If your school runs on semesters, you are very likely finished or close to finished with your semester. Congratulations! Now is the time we should all relax and spend time with our neglected friends and family. Right? If you’re anything like me, you have a hard time winding down after a long semester. I find it hard to sleep without deadlines and to-do lists to lull me. I spend my days wandering around my apartment annoying my dog because I just don’t know what to do with myself. So, let me help you! Here is a list of some ideas for how to spend your winter vacation. Go on, you deserve it.
- Pick up those hobbies you’ve been putting off. Sewing, gardening, roller derby skating, whatever. The world is your oyster! (Until January, at least.)
- Start on your reading/movie/crafting/video game list. As a way to procrastinate during the semester, I create a long and detailed list of books to read and movies to watch and projects to complete. Come the new semester, that list will be down to zero.
- Take a vacation. Seriously! It doesn’t have to be far away or very long, but visit some out of town relatives, see some nearby sights, spend a night in a bed and breakfast. It’ll feel absolutely luxurious.
- Do something nice for yourself and loved ones. I love cooking and hosting dinner parties. Now that time is on my side, I hope to indulge myself a bit. Plus, I’m lucky enough to have a partner who picks up a lot of the household slack during the semester and I’m happy to pay it forward when I can.
- Volunteer. It might feel like work, but isn’t! I have wanted to volunteer at my local Humane Society since I moved to Austin, but haven’t been able to fit it in. What better time to start a good habit?
- Job search. You didn’t think I’d be able to get through a whole list of fun things to do without throwing something work-related in, did you? I know its a bummer, but now is a low-pressure time to get started on a high-stress activity. Just one application a day will save me a big headache next semester.
What are your favorite ways to celebrate your hard work?
This post was originally published on December 13, 2011.