Since we are all still students, or very VERY early career LIS pros, this time of year is especially full of things to do. That said, you’ll see new content slow down here, for at least the next week or two. We’ll be planning the summer semester’s worth of writing, recruiting new Editors/contributors, and generally resting after an amazing kick-off semester this Spring.
To keep you busy we’ve compiled some reading lists you can return to over the next few weeks and get caught up on. Think of it as HackLibSchool 101.
Our Top 10 Posts (by hits):
- Job Tips for Future/Recent Grads
- Speak up! Advocating for the UW iSchool
- Non-Traditional Roles in LIS
- Volunteering in LIS – not what you expect
- Redefining Information Literacy for the Networked World
- How I Hacked Library School – WEB APPS!
- Twitter in Library School
- Peer Review in Library School: Helpful or Headache?
- [non]LIS Blogs to Follow
- The Road to ALA ’11: LIS Student Tips and Tricks
Top Post per Editor:
- Diversity in LIS – From My Perspective – Micah Vandegrift
- So, Why Do You Want a PhD? – Julia Skinner
- Someone To Look Up To – Finding Your Library Hero – Zack Frasier
- Non-Traditional Roles in LIS – Nicole Fonsh
- The Name Game – Heidi Kittleson
- From Print to Digital – The Future of the Book – Annie Pho
- Don’t Like Your Curriculum? Change it! – Britt Foster
- So You Want to Be a Special Librarian? – Lauren Dodd
Best Comment Conversations:
- What is there to argue about in Library Science? Well, how about everything!
- Online Presence, a.k.a. You 2.0
- Big Tent Library School
Catch Up on Our Series’:
Experiencing LIS – Posts about getting experience and/or what the experience of Library School is like.
LIS Blogs to Follow – Self explanatory.
To-Read Tuesday – Our (and your) picks for things to read, that we’re reading, or would like to read someday!
Declassified – Comparing curriculum and courses between two schools
TMI – (Two Minute Insights). Shortcasts where we post one question to a leader in the field and they have two minutes to respond.
Most Tweeted Article:
Weirdest Search Terms That Led Someone to Our Blog:
- “Fun things to mod or hack”
- “how to hack in to a university library computer”
- “katie long island library science masters -crook”
- “middle aged white man needs to change careers”
- “everything was better back when everything was worse cartoon”
- “hack librayr school”
- “what is a library”
Recommended by Your Humble Editors:
- Cohen, Dan. (March 1, 2011). What Scholars Want From a Digital Public Library of America
- Watters, Audrey. (February 28, 2011). Do E-book Users Need a Bill of Rights? (Librarians Think So.)
- Howard, Alex. (April 1, 2011). Congress Weighs Deep Cuts to Funding for Federal Open Government Platforms
- Reside, Doug. (April 4, 2011). What is a Digital Curator? (NYPL’s first digital curator)
- Holmes, Linda. (April 11, 2011). The Library Card as a Pop Culture Fiend’s Ticket to Geek Paradise
- Oswalt, Patton. (December 27, 2010). Wake Up, Geek Culture. Time to Die.
- Serrota, Maggie. (February 16, 2011). Academia, Girl-Style Now: NYU’s riot grrrl archives finally opens.
Barbakoff, Audrey , and Ferrari, Ahniwa (March 25th, 2011) – Filter This!
- Goodman, Amanda. (April 13, 2011). How I Job Search
- Potter, Ned. (Oct. 06, 2010). You want to work in libraries? Essential Careers Advice for New Professionals
- Rasmus, Daniel W. (March 31, 2011). 10 Lessons from Angry Birds That Can Make You a Better CIO
- Stephens, Michael. (Feb 15, 2011). Seek a Challenge | Office Hours
- Woodworth, Andy. (Feb. 10, 2011). Open Thread Thursday: Library School
- Dworak, Melody (Mar. 5, 2011) Diversity in LIS.
- In the Library with the Lead Pipe (Sept. 15, 2010) On Upward Mobility in Librarianship.
- Litwin, Rory (Feb. 26, 2011). Some Objections to Our Use of Library Statistics.
- Sellie, Alycia. (Mar. 5, 2011) Librarians Against DRM and This Post Will Self-Destruct After 26 Views.
- Smalter Hall, Rachel (Mar. 23, 2011) Librarians Taking Charge.
- Abrams, Ingrid. (Apr. 9, 2011) The Agony and the Advocacy/The Advocacy and the Apathy.
- Kaszynski, Steven V. (Apr. 07, 2011) Exit the Echo Chamber.
- King, David Lee (Feb. 4, 2011) 10 Tips to Do Presentations Like Me.
- Newman, Bobbie (Apr. 18, 2011) My Favorite Tools in 10 Installments.
- West, Jessamyn (Mar. 22, 2011) Offline America.
- Abram, Steven (January 5, 2011) Innovation Questions
- Garbor, Marjorie, and David L. Ulin (April 6, 2011) The Use and Abuse of Literature
- Lankes, Dave (March 29, 2011) Journalism and Librarianship, AKA, The participatory, assertive, subversive, radically positive librarian via The Unquiet Librarian
- Pullman, Philip (January 28, 2011) Market Fanatics Will Kill What Makes Our Libraries Precious
- Woodworth, Andy (March 27, 2011) SunSpec: The Lending Culture
- Dority, Kim (April 10, 2011) What Else Can You Do With Your LIS Skills? Identifying Job Possibilities.
- Deards, Kiyomi (April 14, 2011) Tales from the Tenure Track: Vol. I.I.
- Hardenbrook, Joe (April 20, 2011) Cover Letters, Resumes, and Interviews, Oh My!
- Kaddell, Marie, Ed. (June 3, 2010) Best Practices for Government Libraries 2010: The New Face of Value.
Categories: Best of HLS