Micah - Geoff Johnson approached me about posting this survey here, and I thought it reflected many of the types of conversations we’ve had over the past few months, and especially related to Nicole’s post about non-traditional LIS work from yesterday. Actually, because of this post, I did a little research and discovered that FSU-SLIS, my school from which I am graduating in two weeks, is an iSchool and I had no idea. What’s in a name? When applied to library school, it’ll be interesting to find out. Feel free to answer in the comments OR by filling out the Survey Monkey linked below. Here’s Geoff:
A couple colleagues and I are working on a project to help understand the differences between traditional Master’s of Library and Information Science graduate schools and iSchools. An important part of our research is an understanding of the perceptions of prospective and current students and recent (or not-so-recent) graduates. If you could assist by completing the following survey and give any additional insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
If any of these questions seem unclear, worry not – we’re just looking for your opinion or your perceptions based on what you already know.
Note: In answering questions about your preferred school to attend, please assume all schools are equally easy for you to attend logistically (i.e. in terms of location, cost, etc.). For example, when question F asks whether you’d prefer to attend highly-ranked schools, don’t let the fact that you live far away from most highly-ranked schools (if you do) affect your answer.
Also, if you’re already in school or you’ve already graduated, please treat questions about such choices as though you had the decision to make again with the benefit of what you know now.
In the near future, you can expect a blog post on our findings.
Answer questions in comments or CLICK THIS SURVEY.
- A prospective Master of Library and Information Science/Master of Library Science/Master of Information Science Student
- A current student at a school that describes itself as a school of Library Science or Library and Information Science
- A current student at an iSchool or School of Information
- An MLIS/MLS/MIS graduate
- Just interested
If you chose option 1, 2, 3, or 4 above, please indicate where you go to or went to or intend to go to school.
If you were to make the decision again, or if you are currently making the decision, would you select a traditional LIS program, or a program offered at an iSchool or a School of Information?
- Traditional LIS
- There’s a difference?
- I would choose a completely different field/program
How different do you think the curricula or course offerings in an “iSchool” or school of information are from a more traditional MLIS/MLS programs?
- Not at all – same thing.
- 90% the same – maybe two or three extra classes to make a school an iSchool
- 50% the same – mostly the same stuff, but enough classes that I could be an “information professional”, not “just” a librarian if I so chose
- 25% the same – some overlap, but a completely different experience
Please provide 3 words that describe traditional LIS programs:
Please provide 3 words that describe iSchool/information school programs:
Please choose the statement that most closely matches your feelings
- I would choose a highly-ranked traditional LIS Program
- I would choose a highly-ranked iSchool/School of Information
- As long as it’s highly ranked, iSchool/Traditional LIS doesn’t matter
- I prefer to attend any traditional LIS school – ranking is less important
- I want to attend an iSchool – ranking is less important